Home » News » Nasarawa State Government Sacks 10,000 Workers

Nasarawa State Government Sacks 10,000 Workers

Organized Labour in Nasarawa state has stated that the State governor, Umaru Tanko Al-Makura has sacked over 10,000 workers since coming into office as governor, adding that only an irresponsible Government would sacked over 10,000 workers.

“The Public announcement urging Nasarawa State Workers not to embark on strike is uncharitable propaganda and blackmail orchestrated by the state Government,” the Labour leader, Comrade Abdullahi Adeka said.

He said: “The present regime sacked over 7000 Local Government staff over 100 staff of “Nasarawa on the move,” a state transport company were fired and the company grounded. Where is the Lafia Hotel and its staff today?

“In addition, 27 Permanent Secretaries were fired from the inception of Al-Makura’s regime,” the union said.

Abdullahi said a state like Nasarawa which cannot pay workers salaries has embarked on flamboyant projects that have no relevance to the citizens.

“On 500 housing units, Al-Makura did not construct a single bedroom for workers instead he was only privileged to re-allocate a project that was initiated and executed by the former Governor, Aliyu Akwe Doma . Since January 2015 Local Government workers are being paid on percentage till date. However, it should be noted that salary in percentage is unlawful and any responsible Government should not even contemplate it,” the Labour leader said.

“To say that workers in Nasarawa State constitute just 1% of the 1.8m people and consumed 95% of the statutory allocation thereby leaving 5% for other capital projects is fallacious and a misrepresentation of facts.”

“Workers and their dependents constitute more than 70% of the entire population of Nasarawa state. This can be testified by the fact that economic activities in the state have been paralyzed due to the non-payment of January,2016 salary.”

“It is duty bound on Government to pay salaries constantly to her workers. So long as the monthly statutory allocations from the federation accounts have not being generated, it should also be noted that salary is being earned by workers and not a gift,” Comrade Abdullahi said a statement.