THOSE who delight in using public schools as venues for their parties and other social engagements should make haste in thinking of alternatives.
Reason? The Lagos State Government has set up a special task force to enforce the ban on hosting of parties and social functions in public schools, just as it said plans are underway to upgrade public school structures across the state.
The Special Adviser to Lagos State governor, Mr Kehinde Bamgbetan, who disclosed this in Lagos during the 4th Lagos State Community Media Forum said the committee is headed by the State Head of Service who will conduct the auditing of public schools structures throughout the state. He said this will make it easier for government to raise the standard of public schools and make life meaningful for the students.
The Special Adviser said government is intensifying effort to bridge existing gaps between the structures of the public and private schools and minimise the disparities between them.
He said if the public schools continue to host social functions and parties, this will amount to degradation of the existing structures which may push the schools into penury.
Bamigbetan urged Lagosians to patronise event centres in order to keep the public schools neat at all times. ‘’The governor has directed that schools will no longer be used for social activities any longer. We want to implore members of the public to patronise event centres because most of these schools are messed up during the social functions and the amount paid by the organisers is usually not enough to rehabilitate the schools. I am sure the committee will do a good job to enforce the ban so that the structures of our public schools are not messed up, especially on weekends,” he said.
Also, he said the plan by the government to introduce free meals in public schools will kick off in September. ‘’On the proposal for free meals in public schools, the Federal Government is expected to provide 60 per cent of the fund while the state is expected to provide the remaining 40 per cent and by the grace of God this will materialise in the month of September as a committee has been set up to work on the modalities. It is expected to enhance the learning capacity of the pupils and boost the economy of the state,” he informed.