Former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki, has said he is not ready for trial until the Federal Government complies with an order of the Federal High Court granting him bail.
Dipo Okpeseyi (SAN), counsel to the Department of State Security (DSS), had announced to the court on Tuesday, February 16, that the prosecution was ready for trial to commence.
However, speaking through his counsel Joseph Dauda at the hearing of the money laundering charges filed against him by the DSS, Dasuki said he will not be available for the trial until the Federal Government complies with the court order that granted him bail last year.
In November 2015, Justice Adeniyi Ademola had granted Dasuki bail, but the DSS rearrested him immediately after his release from Kuje prison.
He was re-arrested on fresh charges of money laundering and illegal possession of firearms after he had fulfilled bail conditions for separate charges filed against him by EFCC.
“We cannot be ready for trial until the defendant enjoys his constitutional rights,” Dauda said.
“We apply that we should be given time to prepare the defence. The conduct of the prosecution has not enabled him to enjoy his constitutional rights. “The worst is that for about seven weeks we do not know where he is.
Any of us here who proceeds to defend an accused person in this circumstance may lose his license to practice.”
The judge adjourned the hearing to March 3rd.
Dasuki is facing a four-count charge of money laundering and illegal possession of firearms brought against him by the DSS. He is also facing multiple counts of laundering money at the federal capital territory (FCT) high court, Abuja.